Welcome to another Cardz 4 Guyz challenge! The theme for #271, create your own background, offers so much potential and an incredible number of options. For this challenge, I chose to create my own background using the shaving cream and reinker technique.
Here’s my card:
Yes, Shaving Cream, Reinkers, and Watercolor Paper
- I’ve tried doing this technique using regular cardstock before, but it doesn’t hold up well to the shaving cream. Therefore, I have since used strictly watercolor paper. I trimmed a piece to 4-1/4 inches by 5-1/2 inches to start.
- Next, I used the least expensive shaving cream in the store, and I think it came to 85 cents including tax. I grabbed half sheet of the thin cardboard used in the DSP packages and then spread out shaving cream on it.
- Next, I dropped some Night of Navy ink drops and then some Crumb Cake ink drops on the shaving cream. I used my bone folder to kind of swirl around the ink. Here’s the way it looked before covering it with my watercolor paper:
- Now all I had to do was lightly press the watercolor paper onto the “mess” and carefully lift it off.
- HINT: one of the biggest reasons I started with 4-1/4 by 5-1/2 inches was so I had some room on the very ends to lift the paper off.
- Then, I used the same bone folder to lightly skim the shaving cream off the watercolor paper.
- Even though I didn’t do anything to change the swirls on the shaving cream, the second press is just a bit different than the first. Here’s a look at the second piece of watercolor paper:
Measurements and Assembly:
- When the watercolor paper dried thoroughly, I trimmed it to 4 inches by 5-1/4 inches.
- Then I stamped the vintage airplane from the Soar Confidently stamp set using Early Espresso on white cardstock. The plane was cropped using the nested label dies. I used the Night of Navy marker to outline the cropped sentiment panel.
- I stamped the sentiment, from the Beautiful World stamp set in Night of Navy on white cardstock. Then, I cropped it using the stitched rectangle dies and outlined it using the Crumb Cake marker.
- The Crumb Cake mat measures 4-1/8 inches by 5-3/8 inches.
- I used Night of Navy for the base of the card. It measures 4-1/4 inches by 11 inches, scored at 5-1/2 inches, creating a landscape side-opening card.
- I adhered the Crumb Cake mat to the front of the card using my fav, multipurpose glue.
- Next, I used a length of the burlap ribbon to go across the front and very slightly wrap around to the back of the card. Sometimes that can be difficult to do and have it stay in place. Therefore, I used a piece of tear and tape from end to end on the burlap ribbon. When I removed the cover piece, I was easily able to wrap it around and feel confident that the ribbon will stay in place.
- I popped both the plane and sentiment pieces up off the front using dimensionals, making sure I didn’t have dimensionals sitting on the ribbon.
- Finally, I used a piece of white cardstock trimmed to my usual 4 inches by 5-1/4 inches for the inside panel. I used “Thank you for being part of mine” from Beautiful World and Happy Father’s Day from Soar Confidently sentiments. Both of these are stamped in Night of Navy ink.
Please Join the Design Team at the Cardz 4 Guyz # 271 Challenge!
- With that, I had finished this card. Don’t be surprised if you see more shaving cream backgrounds in the next few weeks. It’s really a fun technique!
- I can’t wait to see what you create and upload to the challenge! Have fun!
Do You Love Fun Folds?
If you do, please stop by a new challenge, Creative Creases from Debbie Mageed at The Secret Stamper! I am having a blast with her challenges and have learned some new fun folds! Join the fun at
Thank you so much for stopping by today.
I’d love to hear what you think, and greatly appreciate every comment.
Have a Peachy Day!
The 2021 – 2022 Catalog is Live!
Of course, I purchased the You’re a Peach Suite on the First Day! Take a look at this fabulous suite!
I say “Have a Peachy day” to my kids (aka students) all. the. time. Hence, the Just Peachy Stamping name. Naturally this suite is a must have!
The picture doesn’t do the DSP justice, so here’s a look at just that:
Join the Fun!
It’s a fabulous time to join Stampin’ Up! New team members get even MORE FREE products in their customizable Starter Kit. From 4–31 May, new team members can get $155 USD worth of products for only $99 USD + free business supplies + free shipping + all the fun being a part of Stampin’ Up!
Do you live in the U.S. and need a demonstrator? If so, I’d love to talk to you!
Do You Want to Place an Order?
Of course you do!
If you are ordering less than $150.00, please use the host code shown. If you are ordering more than $150.00, please contact me first so you can get your stamping rewards! Any order over $50 will earn a little surprise from me.
The HOST CODE for May is ZM63ASKZ.
Again, thank you for stopping by my blog today! I appreciate your comments and your time.