Freshly Made Sketches is a clean and simple challenge. Sometimes, I can easily create a clean and simple card based on the challenge sketch. This week didn’t turn out that way. I started with the sketch as my inspiration, and I really did intend to create a clean and simple card.
Here’s my final card:
Here’s the challenge banner:
This bundle and DSP, available during Sale-a-Bration, spoke to me as soon as I saw it. I made sure to get the bundle before it would’ve had a chance to sell out. In addition, I made sure I earned two packs of the DSP before it became unavailable. As I’ve said, I teach high school. Our school colors are black and gold, and the mascot is a hornet. Therefore, this group of products just begged me to purchase and/or earn as much as possible.
I created this card for a student who is facing a very lengthy recovery from an accident. Since she is able to have food delivered to her at the hospital, a friend and I thought we’d bring her some dinner and a Starbucks gift card for her parents. Of course, I won’t be allowed in the hospital, but one of her parents can meet me outside. Hopefully, you can see the challenge sketch inspiration in my card.
- The card base measures 4-1/4 inches by 11 inches, scored at 5-1/2 inches. It opens up.
- I chose the black and gold striped DSP for the background. It measures 4-1/8 inches by 5-3/8 inches.
- The gold and white DSP panel, bordered by a thin piece of black cardstock on both sides, measures a total of 2 inches by 5-3/8 inches.
- I cropped a piece of white cardstock for the inside to 4 inches by 5-1/4 inches. I also trimmed a piece of the black and gold hexagon DSP to 1/2 inch by 5-1/4 inches. This strip was adhered to the right side of the white cardstock and coordinates with the DSP on the envelope flap.
All the Pieces and Assembly
- The gold and white hexagon DSP seemed like a good choice for the beehive. I cropped that using the beehive die.
- There are two honeycombs cropped from gold foil specialty DSP. I used one on the card and one on the front of the envelope.
- I cropped the large “hornet” from the black and gold hexagon DSP. My only reason for this choice was because I wanted some sort of texture on the hornet. Next, I cropped a partial hornet from a scrap of gold specialty DSP. I trimmed off all parts of the gold hornet except for the center body part and the antenna. Since the body parts are small, I trimmed a very thin, short piece of black cardstock for the back of the hornet. This thin piece holds all the small pieces of gold together. Then I adhered the body of the black/gold hornet to the gold body.
- Both the front and inside sentiments come from the Sending You Thoughts stamp set. The sentiments combine to say “If loving thoughts could heal…” “you’d be better already.” I thought these sentiments matched my thoughts perfectly. I stamped the sentiments using Momento Tuxedo Black ink pad.
- I cropped the front sentiment using the stitched rectangle die set.
- Of course, I had to use some sort of ribbon or thread. I chose the gold twine and wrapped it around just the white and gold panel three times. Then, I tied it in a square knot.
- Amazingly, the only dimensionals I used pop up the body of the hornet.
- In order to have the outside sentiment level, I used a large glue dot under the right side of the sentiment. I used multipurpose liquid glue for the left side.
- After putting everything together, I’d finished this card/envelope set.
As always, thank you so much for stopping by my blog today. I’d also love to hear what you think, and greatly appreciate every comment.
Have a Peachy Day!
Focus on Bundles for Bonus Days savings!
There’s a bundle I really, really want and have decided I am going to use my bonus day coupons toward the purchase of this Blossoms in Bloom bundle! It’s so gorgeous, and the cards I’ve seen using it are all stunning. Check this out:
Have a Hoot Cling Stamp Set and Dies
Just look at all this adorableness!
Do You Want to Place an Order?
Of course you do! Even more so because of the products in the NEW catalog. This NEW catalog is FABULOUS!! Wait until you see the new MINI-CATALOG!! Stay tuned for sneak peeks of those items! I’ll be using some new mini-catalog items for the Pals blog hop on Wednesday! The theme this month is favorite season. My favorite season is any time there isn’t humidity. A cool breeze or cooler temperatures, which is relative depending on where you live, is always welcome! Therefore, creating a card presents a bit of a dilemma, but I think I have figured it out.
If you are ordering less than $150.00, please use the host code shown. If you are ordering more than $150.00, please contact me first so you can get your stamping rewards! I want YOU to get the stamping rewards you earn for your order over $150.00 Any order over $50 will earn a gift from me and an August – December mini-catalog.